(1) The National Physical Therapy Month is each October, celebrating and recognizing the work that physical therapists do to improve the health and restore the motion of our nation’s citizens.
(2) Physical therapists do not only perform their work in clinics or private practices. They can work in other settings such as hospitals, schools, and even nursing homes.
(3) There are over 200,000 physical therapists in the United States. (via www.apta.org)
(4) Your physical therapist can treat you for vertigo. (via moveforwardpt.com)
(5) Yes, physical therapy can be as (or more!) effective than surgery to address a variety of conditions.
(6) Physical therapists formed their first professional association in 1921, known as the American Women’s Physical Therapeutic Association. (via www.apta.org)
(7) What is a classic piece of equipment that your parent’s may have in their basement that is also widely used in physical therapy and rehab center across the US? The NordicTrack Classic Pro Skier. (via guidedoc.com)
(8) The ‘massaging’ of a muscle by a physical therapist will not be like the soothing massage you would expect at a spa.
(9) There are different types of physical therapy, which are: orthopedic, post-operative, cardiovascular, neurologic rehabilitation, or pulmonary rehab.
(10) Yes, many physical therapists hold advanced degrees!
Published June 30, 2016 | Posted in Portsmouth PT Blog Posts.